Job Title: Quality Engineer
Department: Quality (Stamping or Fabrication)
Reports To: Quality Manager (Stamping or Fabrication)
The Quality Engineer will lead the quality management from inception to production launch and throughout the production cycle according to ISO/IATF 16949 quality standards. In this position the individual will have technical leadership and will be ensuring the quality management system performance is evaluated, and areas that need improvement throughout the Fabrication or Stamping Arenas are identified and reported to the Quality Director. This person should have a commitment to excellence and be a good trainer and communicator. Also, strong leadership skills are necessary. Good knowledge and expertise in the metal stamping and fabrication industry are critical. The Quality Engineer will also be responsible to manage the organization’s customer focus and response to customer-related quality issues and subsequent internal corrective actions.
- Responsible for the PPAPs, FAI, Control Plans, Process Capabilities Studies, GR&R and FMEAs as part of APQP’s and NPI’s processes.
- Responsible for originating and implementing inspection procedures and plans.
- Receiving direct communications relating to quality problems from customers, purchasing, engineering, quality, customer service and sales personnel.
- Assisting Quality Managers in answering customer complaints, QR’s, CARs, and 8D reports within the specified time frame.
- Reviewing and initiating RMA, MRs and Nonconformance Reports via UniPoint.
- Implementing and assuring proper corrective action.
- Implementing and assuring proper material dispositions and initiating material review board actions if necessary.
- Requesting Design and Manufacturing Engineering assistance if necessary.
- Assuring incoming, in-process and outgoing quality.
- Responsible for creating and handling Non-Conformance Reports, Disposition of Nonconformance Materials/Products/Parts and Recording Cost or Poor Quality via UniPoint.
- Initiation of Quality Warnings/Alerts, Product Deviations or Waivers. Follow up with customers to ensure acceptance/approval of Product Deviations or Waivers.
- Initiating required layouts. Responsible for inspection activities.
- Administering necessary follow-up on historical problems. Notifying management of critical problem areas.
- Interfacing with Larsen Manufacturing suppliers on Quality problems. Work with supply chain team to resolve supplier/s related issues.
- Initiate CARs and 8D’s to supplier and ensure it is completed.
- Surveying appropriate potential suppliers for quality capability.
- Participate in Larsen Manufacturing customer and auditor visitations.
- ISO/IATF Auditor experience is a plus.
- 4-year college degree in Engineering (prefer Mechanical Engineering)
- Experience with Metal Stamping and/or Fabrication must
- Quality Engineering experience including Statistical Process Control (SPC), DOE, CAPA, LEAN, 5S’s and Six Sigma (6 σ)
- Strong customer interface experience.
- Ability to lead, mentor, coach and manage quality team
- Successful experience managing multiple quality engineering projects
Location: Mundelein, IL.
Pay Based on Experience